Ionic Materials is seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated engineer with knowledge in organic chemistry and strong, hands-on experience in materials and microstructural characterization and materials processing to fit the company culture of fast-paced work and problem-solving in an entrepreneurial environment.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In this role, the engineer will establish procedures for the control of incoming materials. The engineer will utilize analytical techniques, such as particle size analysis and surface area analysis to provide supplementary characterization information on raw materials with the goal of providing insights for materials selection.
- Establish and implement standard characterization procedures for incoming raw materials, including metal substrates and Li foil.
- Establish raw material control procedures for accepting and storing incoming materials.
- Develop correlations between raw material properties and microstructural characteristics of anode, cathode and electrolyte components.
In this role, the engineer will assist with the current batch processing methods for anode, cathode and electrolyte formulations. The engineer will also evaluate current processing methods for optimization and evaluate new processing methods as appropriate.
- Assist with regular materials processing tasks such as wet and dry mixing, jet-milling and sieving.
- Set up experimental studies to investigate the effects of processing variables to generate optimized material properties and formulation mixtures.
- Collect, analyze, summarize and report results of processing studies.
In this role, the engineer will support the product development efforts by utilizing their knowledge of organic chemistry and analytical techniques, such as optical and scanning electron microscopy and FTIR to provide supplementary characterization and analysis of component microstructures with the goal of providing new insights for materials selection, materials processing and component design for improved electrochemical cells.
- Assist with Failure Mode Analysis of electrochemical cells to understand material and microstructural influences on electrochemical performance.
- Collect, analyze, summarize and report results of FMA in regular product team meetings.