Ionic Materials is seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated battery engineer with strong, hands-on materials and microstructural characterization experience. The position will be responsible for individual research and deliverables, as well as provide opportunities to collaborate with highly-talented engineers and scientists. Ionic Materials has a company culture of fast-paced work and problem-solving in an entrepreneurial environment.
• Minimum M.S. in Chemistry, Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering or equivalent
• 3+ years of experience working with batteries, direct experience with alkaline chemistry is a plus
• Hands on experience with post-mortem analysis of electrochemical cells, including characterization techniques, e.g. SEM, XPS, XRD, TGA, DSC, FTIR
• Experience with Design of Experiments, data analysis, and statistical interpretation
• Experience with electrochemical characterizations, e.g. cyclic voltammetry, impedance spectroscopy, cycle life testing, and abuse testing
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In this role, the engineer will support the product development efforts of the Alkaline R&D group. Whereas most of the team activities involve the formulation, building and testing of electrochemical cells, the engineer will utilize analytical techniques to provide characterization and analysis of component microstructures. This position is imperative to providing new insights for materials selection, materials processing, and component design for improved electrochemical cells.
• Success Mode Analysis and Failure Mode Analysis of electrochemical cells to understand material and microstructural influences on electrochemical performance
• Collect, analyze, summarize and report results of SMA and FMA in regular product team meetings
• Statistical data analysis of electrochemical data to determine effects of materials and processes
• Work closely with technicians for daily cell production
• Work closely with R&D scientists to improve understanding of failure/success modes of cells and performance of products