Ionic Materials is seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated senior battery engineer with strong hands-on experience on electrode production, cell assembly and battery design. The battery system engineer will be part of the Ionic Materials’ alkaline R&D team, contributing to the development of next generation low cost rechargeable batteries. The position will be responsible for individual research and deliverables, as well as provide opportunities to collaborate with highly-talented engineers and scientists.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or related field, minimum 10 years’ experience on manufacturing engineering or process engineering.
- MS degree preferred with minimum 8 years related experience.
- Experience with electrode making process, familiar with slurry casting and other electrode production methods and associated equipment.
- Experience with multiple cell makers.
- Experience with coin, pouch/prismatic, cylindrical cell assembly is preferred.
- Experience with alkaline batteries is preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to facilitate successful interactions with team members and management.
- Proactive, self-starting, multitasking, able to excel in fast-paced start up environment.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In this role, the engineer will support the R&D efforts of the alkaline group at Ionic Materials. Whereas most of the team activities involve the formulation, building and testing of electrochemical cells, primary duties of this senior engineer position include improving cell design and processes for better cell performance, and providing engineering support for overall team objectives.
- Identify and validate materials for cell components such as electrode substrates and separators.
- Develop and implement electrode making and cell assembly processes to meet performance targets.
- Analyze and evaluate electrode physical data and cell electrochemical data to determine effects of processes and materials.
- Work closely with R&D scientists to improve understanding of failure modes, performance and life expectancy of battery, and make data-driven decisions.
- Perform other functions as required supporting R&D.