Ionic Materials is seeking a hands-on, self-motivated, driven engineering intern to support the scale-up and manufacturing operations of our Specialty Polymer businesses. The ideal candidate must have a strong technical aptitude. Familiarity with polymers and extrusion processes, such as compounding and film extrusion or in production equipment, design, process controls and quality is a plus.
The position will work closely with the R&D teams, and interface with the Operations team on production capacities, supply chain planning and quality systems as well as supporting external Tolling manufacturing partners. This role reports to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager.
Please be advised reliable transportation is required to travel between Londonderry, NH & Woburn, MA.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
A key responsibility is supporting the technology transfer from pilot-line to full-scale production both internally and with external partners. Scale-up to high volume manufacturing will include executing control plans and procedures as well as optimizing processes to meet CTQ [Critical to Quality] requirements.
- Assist with the development of manufacturing processes. Establish effective and efficient work sequences and evaluate existing workflows for areas of improvement.
- Work with manufacturing engineers on prototype and production.
- Develop quality checkpoints and implement World-Class process monitoring: tracking and reporting productivity, yield, and quality.
- Support companywide 5S initiatives and continuous improvement activities.
- Execute process capability studies to characterize manufacturing processes and develop associated specifications.
- Provide input on specifications as needed. Witness first production runs, review process controls and QC plan; provide technical support in supplier audits.
- Pursuing a B.S. degree in Mechanical, Materials Science, Plastics or Chemical Engineering
- Strong mechanical aptitude: hands-on laboratory experience in material processing and mechanical equipment use is preferred.
- Ability to accurately follow work instructions under minimal supervision with attention to detail.
- Organized in record-keeping habits.
- Ability to perform well in a fast-paced, problem-solving environment.
- Solid skills in MS Office and window programs
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data.
- Strong communication skills
- Familiarity with AutoCAD or SOLIDWORKS working knowledge is a plus.
- Ability to perform well in a fast-paced, problem-solving environment with the special challenges of a start-up company.
Please be advised reliable transportation is required to travel between Londonderry, NH & Woburn, MA.Apply Now