The R&D Technician position is responsible for tasks associated with testing new materials
related to IM’s novel polymer electrolytes, incorporated into novel battery chemistries and
constructions. The R&D Technician will work with other scientists and engineers in R&D to
prepare materials and electrodes for cell builds, build test cells, place cells on test, transfer
data to spreadsheets, and analyze & summarize data.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in science or Engineering field, or at least 5 year’s
experience as a technician in an R&D environment, with experience in battery R&D
- Ability to complete computer functions of entering data and formatting into Excel
spreadsheets. Basic data analysis and preparing plots of data.
- Ability to accurately follow work instructions under minimal supervision with attention
- Ability to prepare materials for cell builds, including cathodes and anodes, as well as
polymer electrolyte films.
- Ability to assemble and test electrochemical cells using equipment in dry room and
- Ability to conduct wet chemical experiments and accurately prepare solutions of
different salt concentrations, especially for preparing cells with liquid electrolytes to
compare to IM’s solid polymer electrolyte cells.
- Organized record keeping habits.
- Ability to engage with co-workers and supervisors.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work on multiple projects within R&D as needed.
- Make samples, perform experiments, make electrodes, build test cells, place cells on
tests, analyze/tabulate data.
- Interface with R&D scientists and engineers at meetings to evaluate results and
discuss next steps – also interface with Operations and Quality teams as needed.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must wear all appropriate PPE, including respirator (if needed)
- Prolonged standing when using glovebox.
- Must work at computer when entering and analyzing data.